Produce & Flowers
Kattula Family FarmsOwner: Sanjata/ Ashwin Kattula
4790 Cap Martin Dr
Gainesville, GA 30506
daytime phone: (616) 617-6805
evening phone: (616) 617-6805
Web site: http://www.kattulafamilyfarms.com
Application Date: 2021-08-12
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- We are growing our produce organically/ Naturally since the farms has started. Would like to certify the products and sell them. Certified naturally grown was recommended to me by another fellow farmer. She is very happy with the program and I would like to be a part of it.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- Fellow farmer recommended it.
- How did you learn to farm, and for how long have you been farming for market? What has prepared you to farm successfully according to CNG standards? *
- My interest grew in organic farming due to the number of pesticides and chemicals are being used in store produce, I started having a lot of issues with health and started purchasing locally grown organic produce. With in 6 months period my health has become much better and that made me think to start a farm. Grow veggies in organic and naturally so our bodies can cherish the nutrition. We have farms growing up in India ( Paddy fields),chickens and buffalos. Started farming since 2017 onward on an actual farms but always growing the veggies since my child hood in the backyard with cow and chicken manure.I would love to be apart of this program to provide good source of nutrition to others.
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- If yes, please list: *
- Do you use Compost? *
- If yes, please note general sources (on farm, purchased complete, local grass clippings, local dairy, etc.): *
- Vermi compost, and Jobe organic OMRI listed compost . Currently we are not using on the farm compost. We just started the compost pile.
- Please list application rates. Give a specific amount or range (for example: one to two tons per acre, ten wheelbarrow loads per 1,000 square feet, or 1-2 inches deep). Do not answer "varies". *
- 1/2 ton per acre
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- Epsoma Organic tomato tone Epsome organic bone meal Epsoma organic blood meal we use them as needed may be once a month.
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- We started using the weed cloth to control the weed. We had a lot of issues with the grass and other types of weed. We came up with the idea if we use the cloth it will reduce the weed, which actually worked well for us. Any remaining weed we hand pull them out to keep it under control.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Pests are flea beetles and squash bugs. With squash bugs we stopped growing squash during peak season and since then I don't see any squash bugs( here and there few we kill them by hand) Flea beetles we use Monterey bug control(OMRI listed ) it lessened the issue also we planted Amaranth as a Sacrificial crop. Now most of the bugs are at Amaranth patch leaving the actual crop.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Fusarium Wilt - Sent the samples to NRCS and they told us to destroy the crop and the materials that we used for the tomatoes. We burnt it . Changed the place where we usually grow tomatoes. Now I don't see any issues so far. We have a great support system from the NRCS(Mrs. Louise MCphearson). She is our go to any issues we face in the farm
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- City water.
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- How do you select your seeds? CNG standards call for growers to make a good faith effort to locate organically grown seeds by contacting at least 3 major suppliers. *
- Johnny seeds and Griffin organic seedlings some home grown seeds like okra.
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Do you purchase potting soil, or do you mix your own on the farm? *
- What ingredients does your potting mix contain? If you purchase a mix, please also indicate which product. *
- OMRI-Listed and ready-to-use, this peat-based PRO-MIX PREMIUM organic vegetable & herb mix is perfect for all your vegetable, fruit, and herb garden needs, whether in-ground or in containers. With MYCOACTIVE technology to stimulate vigorous growth for greater stress resistance, larger root system for increased nutrients, water uptake, bigger, healthier plants Organic fertilizer that gradually feeds plants for up to 3 months OMRI Listed for use in organic gardening
- Are all of your transplants grown according to CNG standards, without synthetic fertilizers or wetting agents? *
- If any transplants are not grown according to CNG standards, please list them here. (If they all are, put "N/A".) This produce may not be marketed as Certified Naturally Grown. *
- Marigolds seedlings
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- From which sources do you buy transplants? *
- How have you confirmed with your supplier that the transplants are grown without synthetic fertilizers or wetting agents? *
- Please list any bought-in transplants not grown according to CNG standards. This produce may not be sold as Certified Naturally Grown (except, in the case of perennials, after twelve months of CNG cultivation). *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- Our main heated green house is separates 50 feet from the actual crop. The land in use is NW side and 50 50 feet.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm:
- We raise chickens for eggs