Locally Good LLCOwner: Stephanie Poetter
daytime phone: (913) 226-0679
evening phone: (913) 226-0679
Web site: http://www.locallygoodfarm.com
Application Date: 2021-04-27
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- I don't believe in and can't afford certified organic. I feel that having a certified naturally grown is more important. I use permaculture practices, and produce 100% natural. I had my former farm in NC, in the Appalachian mountains, where it was a small community and everyone trusted your growing practices. I am now back in Kansas City, and need proof that my practices are 100% natural.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- Known about it for years. When I started my first farm in 2015, I planned on getting certified, but that found out it wasn't needed there.
- How did you learn to farm, and for how long have you been farming for market? What has prepared you to farm successfully according to CNG standards? *
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Value added products using these ingredients.
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- If yes, please list: *
- will be using red clover
- Do you use Compost? *
- If yes, please note general sources (on farm, purchased complete, local grass clippings, local dairy, etc.): *
- On farm, and purchased complete in raised bed soil mixture from Missouri Organics.
- Please list application rates. Give a specific amount or range (for example: one to two tons per acre, ten wheelbarrow loads per 1,000 square feet, or 1-2 inches deep). Do not answer "varies". *
- Already mixed into raised bed blend from Missouri Organics. Will add more later.
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- Neptune's Harvest Fish and Seaweed Fertilizer 2-3-1
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- I deal with weeds by using raised beds, mulch, selective watering, selective cardboard placement, eating/utilizing "good" weeds, and hand pulling.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- I use Integrative Pest Management. I will be spraying my compost pile with beneficial nematodes, as I have already discovered grubs. I plant trap crops like radishes, and am putting up a bat house, 2 wren houses. I am planting pollinator friendly plants such as bee balm, milkweed, goldenrod, marigolds. I am strategically planting herbs to deter pests. I installed welded wire to the bottom of my raised beds to keep out moles/voles.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- I built raised beds for better drainage, with ventilated sides with landscaping fabric. I space plants properly for better air flow. I will water at the base and in the morning. I will use crop rotation.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- City of Olathe, KS water until I get my rain barrel installed. I can provide their 2020 Water Report if needed.
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- How do you select your seeds? CNG standards call for growers to make a good faith effort to locate organically grown seeds by contacting at least 3 major suppliers. *
- This year I bought Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, as I lost most of my saved seeds in my move from NC to KS. For my previous farm I usually bought Sow True Seeds out of Asheville, NC. I will be saving most of my seeds, as I have done in the past. Any new seeds I but in the future, I will locate certified organically grown.
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Do you purchase potting soil, or do you mix your own on the farm? *
- Purchased this year.
- What ingredients does your potting mix contain? If you purchase a mix, please also indicate which product. *
- I used Vermont Organics Coir to start my seeds, and then Fox Farm Ocean Forest potting soil for seedlings. I am using organic raised bed blend soil from Missouri Organics in my raised beds.
- Are all of your transplants grown according to CNG standards, without synthetic fertilizers or wetting agents? *
- If any transplants are not grown according to CNG standards, please list them here. (If they all are, put "N/A".) This produce may not be marketed as Certified Naturally Grown. *
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- My new raised beds are 20+ feet from my next door neighbor. He said that he sprayed his yard once last fall. I told him to let me know in advance if he is going to do it again this year, so I can cover my beds.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm: