Produce & Flowers
Gatehouse GreensOwner: Andrea Draznowsky
1 Gatehouse Rd
New Paltz, NY 12561
daytime phone: (610) 613-7329
Web site: http://www.GatehouseGreens.com
Application Date: 2021-03-09
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- Eating healthy and knowing where my food comes from has always been important to me, and I want my customers to know I am growing using sustainable means, that I am using high quality seeds, growing mediums and water. Getting an Organic Certification as a new farmer would have been very expensive and time consuming, so I was on a hunt for other options. When I heard about CNG, I was drawn to the grassroots model and loved what it stood for. I am so excited to become part of this farming community, and am eager to educate and spread the word!
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- A close friend of mine who works at a food production plant told me about it! :)
- How did you learn to farm, and for how long have you been farming for market? What has prepared you to farm successfully according to CNG standards? *
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- one small room - 130 square feet
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- I own all 130 square feet - ha (it's in my house)
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- all 130 square feet used to grow Microgreens
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Microgreens (we are currently growing 13 crops, but plan to expand and experiment on the type of crop as our farm gets bigger).
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
- We are working towards offering a CSA, and have started approaching markets and grocery stores. I checked the boxes that we HOPE to provide for.
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- no Tilling needed
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- Do you use Compost? *
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- We grow our crops in 1020 trays using either an organic Soil or organic Coco Coir. Once the plants germinate and are brought under the light, we bottom water the plants twice a day. Because we are using RO water with no mineral or nutrient value, we are using Ocean Solution 2-0-3 to water plants grown in Coco Coir. Any Microgreens grown in soil get pure RO water because the soils contain nutrients that the Coco Coir doesn't have.. We are also experimenting with growing hydroponically and are also using the Ocean Solution 2-0-3 for the hydro watering.
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- We do not have any weed challenges, because we grow in sterilized 1020 trays. After the crops are harvested (around day 10), the growing medium is composted, and we wash, sterilize and start the process again. Our grow room is indoors.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- We do not have any pest challenges because we are growing inside. Last spring we did have a few fruit flies, but we put out the little sticky paper and that got rid of them.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- With Microgreens our only concern is mold/fungus developing. I have two anti-fugal sprays that I used during germination. Once the plats get exposed to light, we have never had mold develop because of fans and good air flow in the space. - I use a diluted hydrogen peroxide mixture to spray directly on plants if any hints of mold are noticed once the stems have started to emerge. - I have also started making my own anti-fungal spray that I use in our hydro setups up until the tap root emerges. I use water, oregano oil, calcium bicarbonate, and a few drops of an emulsifier. Right now I'm using a Castile soap (Dr. Bronner's) but am experimenting with Sunflower lecithin.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- The water we use come from our home well. We just got a chlorine injection system installed to make sure the water is completely free from pathogens, and then we have an RO filter to further purify the water. We will get our water tested regularly - to adhere to the CNG guidelines. I think I've heard doing it once a year is sufficient.
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- How do you select your seeds? CNG standards call for growers to make a good faith effort to locate organically grown seeds by contacting at least 3 major suppliers. *
- We currently purchase all of our seeds from MUMMS and from True Leaf Market. All of our seeds are non GMO and all are organic with the exception of Leek, which I'm currently looking at alternative seed companies.
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- We grow inside, either hydroponically with clean RO water, or grow on organic coco coir or organic soil bought from a distributor.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm: