Produce & Flowers
Longpoint FarmOwner: Larry Willis
23796 F.R. 1090
Washburn, MO 65772
Washburn, MO 65772
daytime phone: (417) 846-3887
Application Date: 2021-03-09
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- I like the idea of farmers inspecting farmers. I have been raising organic produce for about 50 years. The organic inspection process many years ago was a good way to exchange knowledge with other farmers. Hopefully CNG will be the same.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- If yes, please note which agencies and dates: *
- OSFUP (Ozark Small Farm Viability Project) - 1980s OCIA (Organic Crop Improvement Association) - 1990s
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- New media
- How did you learn to farm, and for how long have you been farming for market? What has prepared you to farm successfully according to CNG standards? *
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- Rotary tiller, tractor disc
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- If yes, please list: *
- Winter rye
- Do you use Compost? *
- If yes, please note general sources (on farm, purchased complete, local grass clippings, local dairy, etc.): *
- On farm, local grass clippings, sheet compost - veg, residue
- Please list application rates. Give a specific amount or range (for example: one to two tons per acre, ten wheelbarrow loads per 1,000 square feet, or 1-2 inches deep). Do not answer "varies". *
- I sheet compost garden waste and veg scraps from our restaurant. I cover an area of 20x30 discing it in for about 1 year. Then apply approx. 1 ton per acre.
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- I do not use any chemical weed control. Flame weed with propane, hand weed, mulch with clippings.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Tomato hornworm, cabbage worm, and flea beetles are my main problem. I use Pyganic (pyrethrin) and Dipel = B.T I don't use any pest product that is not OMRI listed.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Disease is not usually much of a problem. I use an OMRI approved fungicide when necessary.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- Rural water, Southwest district rural water supply, Exeter, MO.
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- How do you select your seeds? CNG standards call for growers to make a good faith effort to locate organically grown seeds by contacting at least 3 major suppliers. *
- I save some of my own seeds like okra, tomatoes, and peppers. Otherwise I use all organic seed when possible. When I can't find organic I make sure the seed is untreated and non-GMO.
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Do you purchase potting soil, or do you mix your own on the farm? *
- What ingredients does your potting mix contain? If you purchase a mix, please also indicate which product. *
- For my potting mix I just use compost made on the farm. I buy in potting mix from Burpee Organic Seed Starting mix.
- Are all of your transplants grown according to CNG standards, without synthetic fertilizers or wetting agents? *
- If any transplants are not grown according to CNG standards, please list them here. (If they all are, put "N/A".) This produce may not be marketed as Certified Naturally Grown. *
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- We have 80 acres - surrounded by forest on three sides for miles - with cattle and hay - on north side about 1 mile - our 80 acres are mostly forest with 15 acre close to center that is clear with hay and veg.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm: