Garlic GodsOwner: Jana Yockey
248 West 600 South
Heyburn, ID 83336
daytime phone: (208) 260-8966
evening phone: (208) 260-8966
Web site: http://www.garlicgods.com
Application Date: 2020-06-18
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- We work with an organic / sustainable growing manner, but there is extreme cases of crop dusters in our area. When I attended a state organic class and talked with an inspector they told me it would be hard to stay certified organic due to "drift" from the overhead and large spraying tractors. We are trying to give our customers the assurance of the quality of our garlic, produce, and growing procedures.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- I heard about CNG from attending state organic classes through the NRCS and USDA.
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Garlic (and my personal garden)
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
- personal website
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- disk plow hand weeding
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- If yes, please list: *
- grain / barley
- Do you use Compost? *
- Do you use Manure? *
- If yes, please note general sources (local dairy, horse farm, etc.): *
- Neighbors farm
- Please list application rates. Give a specific amount or range (for example: one to two tons per acre, ten wheelbarrow loads per 1,000 square feet, or 1-2 inches deep). Do not answer "varies". *
- 1-2 tons per acre
- What time of year do you apply the manure? *
- fall, prior to plowing
- Do you apply any non-composted Manure within 120 days of veg-crop harvesting? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- If yes, then please specify type and most recent application date: *
- Spring of 2018 a custom spraying company got the directions wrong and sprayed our field, which in alfalfa at the time, with Round-up. It killed our crop and resulted in an insurance claim against the spraying company.
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- hand weeding several times per week.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- we grow garlic and thrip is a possible challenge which we have not incountered since starting our garlic growing in 2018.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- White Rot is a possible disease for garlic, but our area of state of Idaho is an allium quarantine. All seed stock is verified clean and annually tested for white rot and other disease. If encountered the seed would be removed and distroyed.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- Minidoka Irrigation District (canals and overhead irrigation)
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- If yes, please explain: *
- The irrigation district adds chemicals to the water to control moss. We are done watering our garlic before moss season is in full swing, but also ask them when we order water if any chemicals will be in the water during the day we water.
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- How do you select your seeds? CNG standards call for growers to make a good faith effort to locate organically grown seeds by contacting at least 3 major suppliers. *
- When we origianlly purchased our garlic seed stock we ordered through 3 verified, certified garlic growers in the allium quarantine area. Since that point we replant our own seed stock, which is insepcted annually
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- If yes, please state the source (conventional farm field, golf course, etc.)and any details you can provide (type of pesticide, fertilizer, herbicide used, and/or what used for.) *
- Conventional farm fields surroung our farm. Crop dusters are always in the air.
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- To the east is a conventional crop we have at least 80 feet between our garlic and that crop. To the south is a conventional crop with approximatly 75-85 feet including a ditch and a road betweent their crop and our garlic. To the North is over 100 yards of buildings and a home between our crop and the conventional farm land. To the west is the remainder of our cover crop (for future garlic crops) 3 different ditches and 2 roads before encountering another conventional farmer.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm: