Gizmo's GreensOwner: Maddison McGowan
2704 Wildberger Ave
Parkville, MD 21234
daytime phone: (443) 477-1903
evening phone: (443) 521-6689
Web site: http://gizmosgreens.com
Application Date: 2020-05-03
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- We want to be able to provide high quality products for our community that are also certified by someone they trust.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- Through researching other companies in the area.
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
- Home delivery
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- Do you use Compost? *
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- We are growing microgreens and potted plants indoors. We will not encounter weed issues.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- We have yet to encounter any issues but are constantly checking so we can act fast if needed. Our primary challenge would be aphids. To control this possible challenge, we are growing indoors in an almost fully sealed environment, that we keep at a constant 68-72 degrees and 30-40% humidity. We have Pyganic on hand but are always looking for new and better organic solutions.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- The primary disease challenge we face growing microgreens indoors is mold. To prevent this the grow room is kept at a constant 68-72 degrees and 30-40% humidity, we also have two fans running on low to keep the air from sitting stagnant at any time. Another method we use is bottom watering this tends to help drastically decrease mold issues because no water is being poured or misted onto the vegetation. All growing equipment is also sterilized frequently using hydrogen peroxide. If mold was to occur we would completely discard the effected tray or trays and proceed with a thorough check of the rest of the crop followed by cleaning of all equipment.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- We are filtering our municipal water supply with 2 Camco GardenPURE Carbon filters.
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- How do you select your seeds? CNG standards call for growers to make a good faith effort to locate organically grown seeds by contacting at least 3 major suppliers. *
- We purchase all seeds from True Leaf Market or Johnny's Seeds if true leaf doesnt have what we need in stock.
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- All crops are grown indoors.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm: