Backyard SproutsOwner: Arjay and Alex Ardanas, Capecci
daytime phone: (980) 484-0767
Web site: http://www.backyardsprouts.com
Application Date: 2019-06-20
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- My business partner Alexandra and I are currently a vendor at the NoDa Farmer's Market in Charlotte, North Carolina. Although we know our products are all organic and we can tell our customers that, we would still love being part of an official group that can can certify us legitamizing our business and being proud to have that CNG patch and being able to market it. As we're sure you know, the Organic certification is very expensive, especially for a starting farmr like ours. And we like what CNG stands for which are farmers and not corporations.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- A fellow farm at the farmers market we attend.
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- less than a 1/4 acre
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- less than a 1/4 acre
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- less than a 1/4 acre
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- We are urban farmers growing off our 2 homes. Microgreens are what we grow indoors is what we supply for local restaurants and chefs. The current Microgreens we are growing and providing are: - Black Oil Sunflower - Speckled Pea - Rambo Radish - Spicy Salad Mix (kale, arugula, kohlrabi, broccoli, red cabbage, giant southern mustard)
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
- Currently in discussion with Whole Foods.
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- Since we are urban farmers, we simply user very sharp knives to harvest the microgreens.
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- Do you use Compost? *
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- None for microgreens, simply organic soil and water.
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Microgreens has no weed challenges.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- We may run into gnat issues in which we will be using a simple trap which seems to have helped in the past which is a simple dish full of apple cider vinegar.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- If lacking air circulation, the air becomes stagnant which can lead to mold problems for our microgreens so we have dedicated fans on each level to ensure proper air flow.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- We use city water.
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- We do not need any buffers from contamination as our microgreen farm is held inside away form the outside elements and grown in a controlled environment.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm:
- Please note that Backyard Sprouts LLC has two owners, Arjay Ardanas and Alexandra Capecci. The address I listed is Arjay Ardanas' address but answers pertain exactly mirror both sites. Alexandra Capecci 610-730-7092 13619 Glencreek Lane Huntersville, NC 28078