Jacobson Family FarmsOwner: Cheyenne Sullivan
19943 w miller rd.
Antioch, IL 60002
daytime phone: (312) 498-3209
Web site: http://www.jacobsonfamily.farm
Application Date: 2019-02-06
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- We would like to be apart of the Certified Naturally Grown program for several reasons. First off, we respect your program and would be honored to be apart of it. Second, this year we are hoping to sell our vegetables at the Green City Market in Lincoln Park and a certification is required. Third, We have been studying farmers such as Elliot Coleman, Curtis Stone, Jean-Martin Fortier , and Conor Crickmore and implementing their ideas and practices into our own. We're really looking to be a no-till farm, utilizing cover crops and hedgerows for beneficial plants, insects and animals. Lastly, we would be honored to one day go and inspect and help another farmer achieve this certification. You have an amazing program and we would love to help and support in any way possible. Thank you for your consideration, Jacobson Family Farms
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- We Learned about your program while going through the application process to sell vegetables at the Green City Market vendors webpage which requires a third party approval.
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- No-Till. We utilize silage tarps for weed management and the Power Harrow attachment on our BCS Tractor (Power Harrow stirs the top 2-4" of soil instead of inverting soil layers like a rototiller) for bed preparation along with our rotary plow for reshaping our raised beds.
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- If yes, please list: *
- This year we solely used Daikon Radish and Clover but plan to expand our cover crops to also include other legumes and grasses after more research.
- Do you use Compost? *
- If yes, please note general sources (on farm, purchased complete, local grass clippings, local dairy, etc.): *
- purchased spent mushroom substrate.
- Please list application rates. Give a specific amount or range (for example: one to two tons per acre, ten wheelbarrow loads per 1,000 square feet, or 1-2 inches deep). Do not answer "varies". *
- 1' deep
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- Just homemade compost from table scraps, cardboard.
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Grass thistles and various weeds. We always cover our plots with silage tarps when they're not being used, use the power harrow attachment on our BCS tractor, have a flame-weeder that we will run right before our seeds germinate, plant densely to prevent weeds from coming through, us the Paperpot transplanter to give our plants a head start against weeds, and use various hand weeding tools to control weeds. We don't let any weeds go to seed.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- We have a multitude of insect pressures and use Agribon and insect netting, provide habitat for birds, bats, frogs, snakes, are putting up greenhouses and caterpillar tunnels.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Tomato Blight. We're grafting tomatoes, hard pruning and not planting tomatoes and cucumbers too densely.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- How do you select your seeds? CNG standards call for growers to make a good faith effort to locate organically grown seeds by contacting at least 3 major suppliers. *
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Do you purchase potting soil, or do you mix your own on the farm? *
- What ingredients does your potting mix contain? If you purchase a mix, please also indicate which product. *
- Are all of your transplants grown according to CNG standards, without synthetic fertilizers or wetting agents? *
- If any transplants are not grown according to CNG standards, please list them here. (If they all are, put "N/A".) This produce may not be marketed as Certified Naturally Grown. *
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- To the south we have 50' of woods, to the east we have 30' of brush, prairie grasses and woods, to the north we have 100 yards to the road and to the south west we have 20' of brush and woods and to the west we have the neighbors fence and horse pasture which they don't spray.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm:
- We hope that we're on the right track of changing the world for the better one small farm at a time!