Lavender and Lace at The Bothy FarmOwner: Anita and Paul Barry
1171 Nelson Ln
Amissville, VA 20106
daytime phone: (540) 905-4749
evening phone: (540) 222-7344
Web site: http://www.bothyfarm.com
Application Date: 2019-01-28
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- To certify the farm for production and growth of Lavender and lavender byproducts.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- United States Lavender Growers Association (USLGA) conference 2019, Charleston, SC.
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- We grow some other herbs for personal use, mainly within flower/herb beds surrounding our home.
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- no tillage
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- Do you use Compost? *
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Chickweed, crab grass, and clover infiltrate the lavender beds. Weeds are eradicated by either propane burner or hand pulling. Vegetation is disposed of on compost pile along with bedding and horse manure residue at barnyard.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Spittle bugs and some crikets. No abatement.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Primary challenge is root rot from too much rainfall. Concerned with phytophthora, but no evidence of inoculation yet.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- Natural rainfall. If needed, we'd supplement via resident well water.
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- From which sources do you buy transplants? *
- Windmill Heights nursery, Culpeper, Virginia
- How have you confirmed with your supplier that the transplants are grown without synthetic fertilizers or wetting agents? *
- Please list any bought-in transplants not grown according to CNG standards. This produce may not be sold as Certified Naturally Grown (except, in the case of perennials, after twelve months of CNG cultivation). *
- Lavender species: True Grosso, Hidcote, Folgate, Munstead, Provence, Phenominel, Fat Spike, Royal Purple, Melissa Lilac, Betty's Bleu, and Gross Blue. All from either Windmill Heights nursery or White Oak Lavender here in Virginia.
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- Our farm is located in a section of Culpeper county with no other agriculture farms nearby (within 2 miles). Furthermore, we have more than 20 feet setback from our plant beds to adjoining property line/residences.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm:
- We are a registered LLC within Culpeper Virginia, growing one specialty crop (Lavender), and have been cultivating lavender for 3 years. We have horses, cats, and a dog on the adjoining land, but are stabled away from the lavender with no byproduct "runoff" as the lavender is at the highest elevation of our farm.