Produce & Flowers
Banner GreenhousesOwner: Jeff Mast
2239 South Creek Road
Nebo, NC 28761
Mc dowell County
daytime phone: (828) 659-3335
Web site: http://www.bannergreenhouses.com
Application Date: 2018-12-27
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- Being a Certified Organic producer of Vegetable, Herb and flower transplants (plugs), we follow the same practices and commitment to producing healthy plants, with sustainable methods. We have customers that are already Certified Naturally Grown. Becoming certified ourselves may help them and possibly other new customers.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- If yes, please note which certification and agency: *
- We have been USDA Certified Organic for over 5 years. We are MPS certified. We had been USDA GAP certified for several years, previously as well.
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- If yes, please note which agencies and dates: *
- We are currently certified by CCOF in our 4th year. Previously we were certified by Clemson for 2 - 3 years.
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- Have seen a boot at regional Ag shows and we were also approached by one of your representatives
- How did you learn to farm, and for how long have you been farming for market? What has prepared you to farm successfully according to CNG standards? *
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- 18.5 acres
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- If yes, how many acres are in conventional agriculture? *
- If yes, please list what you are growing conventionally: *
- Flowering Annuals. No vegetables - we don not grow the same genus Organicly and conventionally
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- All traditional Vegeatbles
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Idustrial Hemp
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
- Universities, market farmers, homesteaders, community gardens, public schools, large scale commercial farmers, retail greenhouses / growers,......
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- We use pre-packaged soil mixes from suppliers like Sun Gro; peat moss based.
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- Do you use Compost? *
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- We use multiple fertility products - all approved for Organic use. Primarily Fish emulsions nad products from Bio-works.
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Growing our plug crops inside Poly covered greenhouses, we have minimal weed pressure. We use hand weed removal primarily in areas around our greenhouses.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Growing inside greenhouses, exclusion is the 1st line of defense. We scout regularly and employ beneficial insects such as Swirskii and Persimiliis. We combat the usual threats of Aphids, slugs, Thrips, beetles, etc. We use different OMri products such as insecticidal soaps, oils as needed for control.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Growing under cover in new plastics with controlled media helps prevent soil borne disease problems. We spray copper and other Omri approved fungicidal products for prevention and control of Mildews.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- We have 4 on site wells, that provide all of our water.
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- How do you select your seeds? CNG standards call for growers to make a good faith effort to locate organically grown seeds by contacting at least 3 major suppliers. *
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- If yes, please list types: *
- Only in our Conventional flowering Annual program. None are used in our Certified Organic production of Vegetable, herb, flower and Strawberry programs.
- Please note reason for purchasing treated seed: *
- specific varieties required by the customers in our Conventionally produced program.
- I understand that the use of chemically treated seeds is not allowed under organic and Certified Naturally Grown guidelines. I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe produce grown from treated seeds are Certified Naturally Grown. *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Do you purchase potting soil, or do you mix your own on the farm? *
- What ingredients does your potting mix contain? If you purchase a mix, please also indicate which product. *
- Are all of your transplants grown according to CNG standards, without synthetic fertilizers or wetting agents? *
- If any transplants are not grown according to CNG standards, please list them here. (If they all are, put "N/A".) This produce may not be marketed as Certified Naturally Grown. *
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- Growing inside greenhouses, prevents drift. we have no neighbors that farm or apply chemicals.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm: