Produce & Flowers
Blue Eden FarmOwner: Shelley Hollins
2172 Piping Tree Ferry Road
Mechanicsville, VA 23111
daytime phone: (804) 955-9834
evening phone: (804) 955-9834
Web site: http://www.blueedenfarm.com
Application Date: 2018-08-26
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- I want to be recognized as being conscious of my growing practices.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- I don’t remember. I many have googled organic certifications.
- How did you learn to farm, and for how long have you been farming for market? What has prepared you to farm successfully according to CNG standards? *
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- Approx 3
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- I currently grow blueberries and lavender. I use the same practices for all that I grow so if I add to my list I would like that to be certified as well.
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
- Pick your own.
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- I filled with my king cutter for the initial planting. Blueberry bushes require no further tilling.
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- Do you use Compost? *
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- I have just started using fish and kelp. I have foliar spayed twice. My plants are heavily mulched yearly. They are relatively young plans and I have outlined a fertilization schedule that I will begin to follow in the spring. My fertilizer schedule is mid April and mid May, ReVita Pro. My foliar spray is fish and kelp. I may swap in feather meal in place of the fish if I have too much of a fishy odor with the fish.
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Weeds are my biggest challenge. I currently hand weed. It is exhaustive and the biggest task I have. I plan to use a weed mat during the growing season next year then remove after the growing season.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- I hand pick and destroy pests. I use insecticidal soap. I use Milky Spore ( applied Aug 2017) and beneficial nematodes (applied sep 2016 and aug 2017). It is my intent to companion plant this spring using marigold, dill, cosmos and fern leaf yarrow. I use dormant oil. It is my intent to incorporate pest tape as well.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- I have not encountered disease issues yet. I prune effectively in January and ensure clean tools. I typically research what issues/methods work well for fellow blueberry farmers. Monitors are invaluable. I have not had any disease challenges with lavender. I manage it minimally.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- My fields are drip irrigated.
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- How do you select your seeds? CNG standards call for growers to make a good faith effort to locate organically grown seeds by contacting at least 3 major suppliers. *
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Do you purchase potting soil, or do you mix your own on the farm? *
- What ingredients does your potting mix contain? If you purchase a mix, please also indicate which product. *
- Are all of your transplants grown according to CNG standards, without synthetic fertilizers or wetting agents? *
- If any transplants are not grown according to CNG standards, please list them here. (If they all are, put "N/A".) This produce may not be marketed as Certified Naturally Grown. *
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- From which sources do you buy transplants? *
- I purchased my plants from an outside source. They were planted in January 2015.
- How have you confirmed with your supplier that the transplants are grown without synthetic fertilizers or wetting agents? *
- Please list any bought-in transplants not grown according to CNG standards. This produce may not be sold as Certified Naturally Grown (except, in the case of perennials, after twelve months of CNG cultivation). *
- The availability of organic blueberry bushes is slim. Couple that with the cost associated with them and I would not be able to grow them. They are cared for using organic methods once they hit my soil and fruit is not being produced from a plant less than 3 years old. It is my intent to sell Propagated plants as well as fruit.
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- If yes, please state the source (conventional farm field, golf course, etc.)and any details you can provide (type of pesticide, fertilizer, herbicide used, and/or what used for.) *
- Conventional farming neighbors.
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- My older field is across the street from conventional farming. My new field is surrounded by conventional farming on two sides. There is an approx 50 foot buffer. Where I do not border a farm, it is either my field or the road on other borders.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm: