Produce & Flowers
The Homestead Aronia PlantationOwner: John Schofield
1328 125th Road
Stromsburg, NE 68666
daytime phone: (402) 745-0258
evening phone: (402) 745-0258
Application Date: 2018-07-02
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- We are applying for certification to be able to sell our naturally grown aronia berry products at a local co-op and farmers markets.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- We heard about this certification process from Open Harvest Co-op in Lincoln, Nebraska.
- How did you learn to farm, and for how long have you been farming for market? What has prepared you to farm successfully according to CNG standards? *
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- 9.5 acres
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- 98 acres
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- If yes, how many acres are in conventional agriculture? *
- 89 acres
- If yes, please list what you are growing conventionally: *
- Corn and soybeans
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- Fruit Crops:
- 9.5 acres
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
- We are not in production (harvesting) for either market yet.
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- We don't till. Our crops are bushes.
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- If yes, please list: *
- red clover, white clover, orchard grass and perennial rye.
- Do you use Compost? *
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- organic fish fertilizer, calcium, and MSR (micronized soft rock phosphate)
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- We weed by hand, mow the cover crop. Our primary weeds are mare's tail, lambs quarter, velvet leaf and fox tail. We fertilize in the spring and summer.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- We have not had an insect problem. There is a likelihood that we could have SWD (Spotted Wing Drosophilia). Farms in Iowa have Japanese beetles and the SWD. In Nebraska we have not encountered them. We monitor our plants and if insects are found, we would set out traps.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- As members of the National Aronia Growers Association we have not heard any reports of aronia berry disease.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- Well water
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- How do you select your seeds? CNG standards call for growers to make a good faith effort to locate organically grown seeds by contacting at least 3 major suppliers. *
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- We are on average 150 feet from the conventional field to the east. A road and ditches separate us from the field to the south. A wooded river is the boundary to the west and north. No conventional crops for at least one half mile on the west, on the north there are no fields. We are registered with Driftwatch.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm:
- We are raising Aronia berries and expecting our first harvest this year. We planted our crop in the spring of 2016.