Twin Circle Farm LLCOwner: Mike Dennis
5274 Staunton Rd
Edwardsville, IL 62025
6225 Sworm Lane
Edwardsville, IL 62025
daytime phone: (618) 623-0103
evening phone: (618) 781-7337
Web site: http://www.twincirclefarm.com
Application Date: 2018-06-21
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- Would like to show our commitment to organic principles without the USDA expenses. Will not be ready for inspection until this fall after planting our garlic for the season,
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
- Will also sell directly online.
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- Pre planting organic nitrogen builder. Have to till planting beds and hand plant each clove of garlic using a ride on planter behind a tiller.
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- If yes, please list: *
- Pre cover with tillage radish, crimson clover, turnips, rape. During planting, winter term buckwheat, during grow crimson clover.
- Do you use Compost? *
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- None needed so far, great soil.
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Likely challenge is thistle and dandelions. Mechanical cultivation or hand removal will be sufficient,
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Garlic does not have same insect issues. Will address organically of any issues appear,
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- White rot is possible. By using cover crop and with natural fall of drainage should not appear. If white rot appears, will destroy affected plants immediately and fallow that soil for 2 years.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- No irrigation needed.
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Are they grown using Naturally Grown/Organic methods? *
- If they're not grown according to CNG methods, please list them here. This produce may not be sold as Certified Naturally Grown. (If they are, put "N/A") *
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- To the north, and west, about 100 yards or more separates us from a conventionally grown field. To the south a grass barrier and natural runoff down through a wood line from our elevated field of about 20 yards seperates is from a conventional field, and to the east we have about 20 yards separating us from a conventionally grown field with a natural water runoff barrier and grass separation. We are working on acquiring the field to the south and the east as soon as possible. The farmers are working with us in the meantime to be very careful about any applications.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm:
- Our crop will be planted in rich dark soil from a former three generation cattle lot that has been fallow for about 20 years and only mowed. Our field is elevated from the surrounding fields, and there has not been any contamination of the grasses from the conventional fields applications.