Caribe United FarmOwner: Gabriel Jimenez-Fuentes
daytime phone: (608) 556-0054
evening phone: (608) 334-6336
Web site: http://caribe-united-farm.business.site
Application Date: 2018-05-07
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- Caribe United Farm and its owners believe in providing a quality product that emulates the farming style of our Caribbean families. We provide organic feed to our pastured chickens and laying eggs with the intention to provide a healthier meat to our customer. We want to sale our product in farmer's market and local places. We believe that the CNG certification fits well with our ideologies and motivations.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your livestock operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- Internet search and farmers have shared this information in local settings.
- Your application will be reviewed AFTER we receive a valid Feed Declaration for your farm. We ask you to submit the Feed Declaration within ONE MONTH to ensure your application isn't denied. Check this box to indicate you understand this. *
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total farm acreage to be used for pasture and feed crops *
- Number of above acres that you own: *
- Number of above acres that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "conventional" agricultural systems? *
- How many acres are in conventional agriculture? *
- Please list what crops/products/livestock you are growing conventionally, and explain why they are excluded from certification. *
- We have ducks, guineas fowls and hens. These animals were raised soon after we bought our house. We did not raise them with organic feed. Some are our pets and some are for fresh eggs. We have acreage aside that we are using to develop our organic pastured chickens business.
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Other (please specify below):
- If indicated, please specify how 'other' acres are used
- Please check all items you grow and would like to market as Certified Naturally GrownTM (to certify produce, please complete the separate produce application) *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- In the future, planning to add ducks and turkeys
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
- Athens Locally Grown. We are beginner farmers looking to sell organic pastured chickens in all of these markets.
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- We just use our front side tiller to prepare the soil.
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- Do you use Compost? *
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s.
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Describe your primary weed problems and methods of control. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient(s), what kind of product it is (a soap, microbial, oil, a botanical...), and how often it's used. *
- We have a weed problem and we are researching for solutions.
- Describe your primary plant pest problems and methods of control. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s, what kind of product it is (a soap, microbial, oil, a botanical...), and how often it's used. *
- We are researching methods to mediate this problem.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- Private well that has been inspected.
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
Livestock Management and Practices
- Please list all livestock for which you seek certification by type/breed, and indicate how many of each are on the farm today (for example: belted galloways - 20, nubian goats - 5, orpington chickens - 7, frizzle chickens - 3) For animals that have not yet been stocked for the season (e.g. poultry or piglets) please estimate how many you expect to have on farm during the upcoming season. Only list livestock that are (or will be) managed according to CNG standards. *
- Jumbo Cornish White Cornish Broiler - 55
- I affirm that all livestock listed on this application are raised according to Certified Naturally Grown standards. I further affirm that I will not represent ANY livestock products as Certified Naturally Grown if they have not been raised according to the standards required by Certified Naturally Grown. Any livestock treated with antibiotics or other prohibited substances will be quarantined and sold separately. All livestock are fed feed grown according to CNG standards - without synthetic fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides, and free of any genetically modified grains (GMOs). *
- Have all the livestock been raised according to CNG standards since the last third of gestation or since hatching? *
- Give brief details of your rotation practice for each type and/or group of livestock. (E.g. heifers strip grazing behind electric fence moved daily, 28 day rotation, poultry rotated weekly - 3 pens.) *
- I have chickens tractors that I move daily to give fresh grass area to my chickens.
- Do the animals listed above include cows, goats, sheep or other ruminants? *
- Do the animals listed above include poultry? *
- Do your poultry either (a) have a minimum of five square feet per bird of natural, grassy outdoor space or (b) do they have at least two square feet per bird and get moved at least one time per day to fresh new pasture? *
- Do your livestock spend most of their time on pasture during the growing season? *
- Is all feed grown according to Certified Naturally Grown standards (without synthetic fertilizers, pesticides or post-harvest fungal treatments)? *
- For all livestock you seek to certify, please provide more information about the feed. Is it grown locally for you? Purchased in bulk at a mill? Bagged at the feed store? Is it Certified Organic? What brand, if any? *
- I buy bags of Nature's Best organic chick starter at local Tractor Supply.
- Do you buy in some feed? *
- Will you be sure to submit a Feed Supplier Declaration within two weeks? (download it at naturallygrown.org/feed) Please note: when the big name brand companies say their feed is "Natural" that does not mean that they are grown according to CNG standards. It probably means they do not add antibiotics, which is a good start, but very likely the feed was grown with synthetic fertilizers and using genetically modified seeds. *
- Describe your primary livestock pest problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- The primary pest for my pastured organic chickens are predators like raccoons and possums. All my chicken tractors are surrounded by hardware cloth protecting the livestock. For mites, we use organic methods like garlic juice mixture.
- Describe your primary livestock disease problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Cleanness is the number one method to control diseases in chickens. We provide fresh water in clean buckets daily. Our attitude is to focus on preventive methods. We moved the chickens daily and provide fresh grassy area everyday.
- Provide details of all livestock owned by you, or grazed on your land, that are treated and quarantined on your property *
- No animal is quarantined and/or treated in the farm. We also produce eggs with conventional feed, for a different market. They will not be marketed as CNG.
Seeds and Buffers
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be specific. On all sides, how far is it from your livestock pasture to the next closest use (i.e. road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Specify what is grown on neighboring land in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from a blueberry farm, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- There is a main road on our north area of the property. The east and south areas are wooded with a grass-fed cow operation at the distant. The west side of my land is sometime occupied by cows grazing the pasture.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that livestock not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another ranch or farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same rancher or farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown livestock certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm:
- I appreciate this opportunity to certify my small farm as CNG and provide an awesome product to my customers. We are beginners and we want to work hard to follow all the rules and policies of this entity, and we are always eager to fix any possible issues that may affect our certification. Thank you for your time and your consideration.