Corner Hill Farm LLCOwner: Brad Garrett
10275 State Route 73
New Vienna, OH 45159-9364
daytime phone: (513) 800-5017
Web site: http://www.cornerhillfarm.com
Application Date: 2019-03-28
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- We want to give our customers piece of mind the produce is safe to eat.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- low tillage. 2-3" so we can use the Jang seeder. Also use a broad fork.
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- Do you use Compost? *
- If yes, please note general sources (on farm, purchased complete, local grass clippings, local dairy, etc.): *
- purchased complete
- Please list application rates. Give a specific amount or range (for example: one to two tons per acre, ten wheelbarrow loads per 1,000 square feet, or 1-2 inches deep). Do not answer "varies". *
- 1-2 inches deep
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- Peat moss (OMRI), Bio-Live (OMRI) derived from: Fish Bone Meal, Fish Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Crab Meal, Shrimp Meal, Langbeinite, and Kelp Meal, Re-Vita (OMRI) derived from: composted chicken manure, Alaska Fish Fertilizer (OMRI), Organic Pro-Mix (OMRI). We use these at the time of planting, except the fish fertilizer which we use every couple of weeks via fertigation through drip lines.
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Yes we have lots of weeds. Doc weed, dandelion, purslane are some of the worst. We use silage tarps over the winter, and leave them on as long as possible in the spring/summer. We also use lots of professional landscape fabrics with holes to plant into. We also pull lots of weeds by hand. We also use flame weeding. We also use cultivation techniques with oscillating hoes, mutineer hoes, and wheel hoes.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- We have lots of bugs. Aphids we have used DE. We have used sticky traps for flee beetle. We pull lots of bugs off by hand including caterpillars, Japanese beetles, grass hoppers, slugs. We are still learning about the bugs. This year we have purchased some products to help fight the bugs. These include Sluggo, Monterey B.T., Monterey Garden Insect Spray, and PyGanic. All are OMRI listed. We have not used these yet, but plan to use them as the bugs appear by following the direction indicated on the container.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- We had rust last year on our beans. We figured out they were getting wet from overhead irrigation. We are moving the overhead so it won't get the beans wet. We plan to use Garden Safe Neem oil and Fungicide 3. Last year we had anthracnose on peppers. We removed those peppers from the garden and through them away in the trash. We hope the Fungicide will help this year. We didn't use it last year. I think we might have had some blossom end rot last year on tomatoes. We found we had a watering issue, a kink in the drip line, and think irregular watering might have caused this.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- We are on well water. We have 5 water filters in use for all the water. We use a lifetime whole house water filter, a whole house charcoal filter, a whole house cotton filter, a salt-free Pelican water softener, a Pelican UV treatment system.
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Are they grown using Naturally Grown/Organic methods? *
- If they're not grown according to CNG methods, please list them here. This produce may not be sold as Certified Naturally Grown. (If they are, put "N/A") *
- N/A We grow our transplants using organic methods. We plant the seeds into Organic Pro-Mix and feed with Alaskan Fish Fertilizer.
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- There is conventional farm land (corn and soy) to the east of our property. Between our closest garden and this field there is a road, a 6' tall fence, a tree, and our house. The distance from the conventional land and our closest garden is 140 feet. To the north is our neighbor. She does not spray her yard. There is a partial fence between her and us. To the south is our own property with trees, a creek, and a hill. To the west is more of our own property. There is a conventional field (corn and soy) 550 feet away.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm: