Fresh Flavor LtdOwner: Anand Katoch
126 14th St
Nobleford, AB T0L1S0
103 Tartan Blv W
Lethbridge, AB T1J 5A7
daytime phone: (647) 515-7007
Web site: http://freshflavorfarms.com/
Application Date: 2018-01-07
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- As Aquaponic is not recognized as Organic Certified in Canada I need to show to my customer that Fresh Flavor is a pesticide, herbicide and chemical free site and our product is Natural without any chemical residues.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- We started our operations in October and were trying for Organic Certification and as USDA does not certify Aquaponics in Canada we continued our search to find an association that could verify our process and grant us a natural certification. With the help of Google, we reached your site.
- Please check all crops you grow in your aquaponic system. *
- Please specify what other crops (if any).
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please specify what other markets (if any).
System Design and Management
- Please indicate what type of system you use (for hybrid systems, check all that apply): *
- If you indicated you use an "other" system type, please specify what other type of system you use here.
- We use the fifth generation zero discharge process which is developed by Lethbridge College. We mineralize our solid waste to reuse it in our raceway.
- If you use wicking beds, describe how the water his handled after it is used in the wicking beds. Does this water recirculate? If not, how is it disposed of?
- What materials are used for root support, growing media, tubing and pipes, tanks, troughs, and other materials that come into direct contact with system water? (check all that apply) *
- Are there any other materials you use in your system that are not listed above? If so, please indicate them here.
- If you use soil or compost in your system, where is it used? Is it used only in the dead-end portion, or also in in the recirculating sections of the system?
- If you use compressed grow plugs, what is (are) the product/s name/s? Have you been able to confirm with the supplier that it/they do not contain synthetic nutrients?
- Grow-tech flexiplug made of peat with organic binders.
- If your system contains cement, does it come into direct contact with the water? Please describe how cement is a part of your system.
- If you use wood in your system, is it treated wood? Does it come into direct contact with the water? Please describe how wood is a part of your system.
- If your system includes IBC totes purchased used, have you been able to confirm with your supplier that they were used only for food grade uses? If so, how have you confirmed this? If not, how do you intend to confirm this?
- Please note that while IBC totes can be grandfathered in when they're in already in use at the time CNG certification is sought, CNG standards prohibit the introduction of IBC totes once CNG status is obtained. Please indicate that you understand this restriction on IBC totes by checking the box here. *
- Does water circulate at a rate sufficient so that the water volume of the fish tanks(s) recirculates each hour? If it recirculates at a lower rate, please explain. *
- Our pump circulates 250GPM and we have 2 1000gal fish tanks. We circulate water volume of the fish tank every 8 min.
- Briefly describe how your system achieves appropriate aeration. *
- We have two Eco Plus commercial Air 7 pump 3566GPH for the raceway and the fish tank. Using DO monitor we check if the fish tank has DO above 7 and the trough have above 5.
- Briefly describe how your system achieves appropriate degassing. *
- The water is degassed for 24 hr using two airstones with Eco Plus commercial Air 7 pump 3566GPH after 24hr we check for free chlorine.
- Does your system include any of the following: roofing materials, recycled plastics, or plastics that contain BPA? *
- CNG standards vary according to water source. Please indicate below ALL water sources you use for your aquaponic system, and answer the corresponding questions.
- Do you use Municipal water? *
- Does the municipal water contain chlorine? If so, how is chlorine removed? *
- The water in the town is treated with Chlorine Gas and we de-gas the water for 24hr before use.
- Does the municipal water contain chloramine? If so, how is it removed? *
- Do you have a copy of the municipal water testing results? *
- Do you use well water? *
- Do you use rainwater? *
- Do you use surface water? *
- If you use a water source that is not named here, please elaborate.
- We started our process with startup water from Lethbridge College which had Nitrifying bacteria.
Water Quality: Nutrients, pH, solids
- How do you ensure a good match between stocking density and crop production? *
- We perform daily monitor of nutrients released by the fish tank and compare them with the product yields in lb.
- Please describe how you design and operate your system to provide biofiltration that corresponds to production of fish waste and crops. *
- Our site has gravity settlement and Drum filter as the options for biofilteration.
- Do you ever add supplemental nutrients? If so, what materials or products have you used? List ingredients and product names. How much of these do you use? How frequently? *
- We added 5ppm Ferrus at the startup to prevent algae growth.
- Do you use worms in your system? *
- What materials do you use to buffer pH? *
- Currently, we use Phosphoric acid and will be moving over to Citric acid to meet organic standards
- What methods do you use to prevent the build up of waste solids in your system? *
- Gravity settlement and Drum Filter
- Please indicate how often you monitor each of the following:
- pH? *
- Temperature? *
- Dissolved oxygen? *
- Ammonia? *
- Nitrites? *
- Nitrates? *
- Use this space if you'd like to share additional information about your water quality and monitoring practices.
- We gain quarterly full water report from the town. We perform mineral and nutrient complete analysis through Lethbridge college.
Seeds, Transplants, and Crop Health
- Do you grow some or all of your own transplants? *
- What growing media do you use? Please list the ingredients. *
- Seed are germinated in FlexiPlug from Growtech which is made of peat and the organic binder.
- Do you use any chemically-treated or genetically modified seeds? *
- Do you purchase some or all of your transplants? *
- Describe your primary insect pest challenges AND methods of prevention and control. (Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate actual pest challenges or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage or how you would manage them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used.) *
- Aphids are controlled by ladybug larvae from Koppert Canada.
- Describe your primary plant disease challenges AND methods of prevention and control. (Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate actual disease challenges or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage or how you would manage them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used.) *
- We use Trichoderma harzianum Rootshiled Plus to prevent our plants from Pythium
- CNG certification requires the use of certified organic or Certified Naturally Grown seeds whenever available. Please indicate the suppliers from which you source - or will source - your seeds if your application is accepted and you continue the certification process. *
- Lettuce seeds from Terra Link Kale from Osborne seeds Lollobondi lettuce and Outragious from Ontario Seed Co. Paris White Cos from Morgan County seeds. Herbs from West Cost seeds. We look for organic or untreated hairloom seeds
- Please indicate, by entering your initials, that you understand that CNG strictly prohibits the use of chemically treated or GMO seeds. *
- Please indicate, by entering your initials, that you will as a general rule purchase organically grown seeds, AND that you will only purchase conventional seed when the variety you wish to grow is not available in certified organic or CNG form. For each variety purchased in conventional form, you will identify (and keep records of) at least three commercial organic seed suppliers who do not carry that variety. *
- We do not offer certification for fish, but do set some limited standards for fish management where they might affect the produce and or quality of life for the fish.
- Does hormonal sex reversal treatment ever occur on-line / within the recirculating system? *
- Please describe the practices you use to prevent and treat fish disease.
- We perform daily chemical analysis to see that the fish are not under stress. weekly we perform fish weight and during this stage, we check for any physical sickness. We use premium fish feed for our process
- Have you ever found it necessary to use antibiotics? *
- Please describe what kind of fish feed you use. Is it organically grown? (For aquaponic produce certification CNG standards do not require that the feed be organically grown, but we are interested to know what producers are using and to give credit to any producers who may be using organic feed) *
- We get our feed from EWOS currently there is no reputable organic feed supplier in Canada.
- Do you use black soldier fly larvae or duckweed as supplemental feed? *
- Do you use any supplemental feed besides BSF larvae or duckweed? If so, describe it here, and indicate how you protect against contamination of your system. *
Protecting Against Contamination
- Is your operation partially or entirely INdoors? *
- What are the nearby land uses? Are there any that might pose risks of contamination? *
- My greenhouse is in the industrial area and there is no farm for one block.
- How does your ventilation and air filtration system prevent possible contamination? *
- There is no farm in close proximity to contaminate our site by pesticide or herbicide. We use a forced heating system and keep our site under positive pressure.
- Do you share space (including fish tank, seedling starting, or plant production space) with other producers? *
- Is your operation partially or entirely OUTdoors? *
Waste & Energy
- These questions will not determine certification status, but are intended to encourage producers to review our recommendations in these areas and to give credit to producers who have made investments in the sustainability of their operation.
- How do you dispose of fish solid wastes? *
- We mineralize (lethbridge college method) and reuse it in our system.
- When necessary during system change over, how do you dispose of nutrient-rich water? *
- Our site uses a zero discharge process and no nutrients go out of our site.
- What measures have you taken to conserve energy, improve energy efficiency, and/or use energy from renewable sources? (This could include system design, siting, insulation, crop and fish species selection, and more.)
- Instead of Halogen lights we have used LED. Our heating system is high efficiency. the site operates on two air pump and two sump pump making it highly efficient.
Inspections & Networks
- A core requirement of CNG certification is the on-site peer-review. Getting this completed is facilitated if you're a part of a network of aquaponics producers who might serve as your inspector. Are you a part of a network (informal or formal) of aquaponic producers in your geographic area? *
- Tell us about it. Does it have a name? Roughly how many members, and what geographic area does it cover? *
- I am associated with Lethbridge college and 7 aquaponic (commercial and hobbyist) in Alberta south.
- I understand that only the produce, NOT the fish, can be labeled and sold as Certified Naturally Grown. *
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally Grown. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one Inspection(s) of another CNG aquaponic producer in my area each year, if there is one within a one hour drive. *
- I understand that the inspection I conduct will NOT be of the same producer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown aquaponic certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your operation.