Garlic and GarlicOwner: Michael Johnson
8145 W Price Rd
Saint Johns, MI 48879
Web site: http://Garlicandgarlic.com
Application Date: 2017-07-24
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- We currently grow several varieties of hardneck garlic, about 5000 plants total, for personal use and for sale and have been practicing natural growing. Certification would help us in our marketing and show we are doing this correctly.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- Searching online and mentions on other websites and in facebook groups.
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- All Garlic
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
- Online sales
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- Do you use Compost? *
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Weeds are problematic but we have been able to control by applying a thick cover of mulch and then hand weed the ones that come up.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- I have not had any pest challenges with garlic but one pest that I want to avoid is onion maggots. I plan to handle pest issues thru crop rotation.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Have had none yet. I trt to avoid Basal rot by making sure my garlic crop is not in too wet of soil, planting in mounded rows, and not harvest too late where wrapper layers would be lost. Bloat nematode would be one other issue I am wanting to avoid. This will handle thru crop rotation, using my own seed garlic or purchasing from only sources tested to be free, and yearly testing of my own garlic.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- Sprinkler with well water.
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- My fields are very small, about 1/8 acre per year. I can locate them to not be near neighboring conventional fields. To the west is completely blocked by woods. To the north is a road, have 2 rows of pines between road and my plots 50 ft away. To the east is a residential yard lined with trees. To the south is conveniently grown corn and bean field, buffered by two rows of pines and 50 ft.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm:
- We are small and new. Only growing for past 3 yrs on land that has not been used for 10 plus yrs.