Long's Natural FarmOwner: Dwayne Long
5201 North Smith
El Dorado, AR 71730
daytime phone: (870) 310-8190
Application Date: 2018-03-15
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- To stand out in the crowd. So customers know we have been inspected and not just making up lies.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- SSAWG conference.
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- If yes, please list: *
- annual rye, white clover and cow peas
- Do you use Compost? *
- If yes, please note general sources (on farm, purchased complete, local grass clippings, local dairy, etc.): *
- We just bought 40 yards for the new high tunnel. Up until now we just threw everything out to the animals.
- Please list application rates. Give a specific amount or range (for example: one to two tons per acre, ten wheelbarrow loads per 1,000 square feet, or 1-2 inches deep). Do not answer "varies". *
- Just purchased.
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- Garrett Juice: To make your own, here are the instructions: Mix the following in a gallon of water. Garrett Juice (ready to spray): 1 cup compost tea or liquid humate 1 ounce molasses 1 ounce apple cider vinegar 1 ounce liquid seaweed For Garrett Juice Plus and more fertilizer value add: 1- 2 ounces of liquid fish (fish hydrolysate) per gallon of spray. For disease and insect control add: ¼ cup garlic tea or ¼ cup garlic/pepper tea or 1 - 2 ounces of orange oil I also bought some fertilizer on sale I have been trying. Citrus-tone. Organic. feather meal, poultry manure, bone meal, alfalfa meal, greensand, humates, sulfate of potash, and sulfate of potash magnesia.
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- The weed that is our biggest problem we can't identify. It came in a bag of leaves I picked up in town. Pull it up. Ruth Stout say's don't pull it up, cover it up. Just add more mulch.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- squash bugs. I bought the ducks and geese to help with this problem. But I think the geese eat more than they save. Pick off the leaves and get rid of them when you see them. Horn Worm Caterpillars. Watch for them, pick them and destroy. BT.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Fungal problems. Plant in areas that get morning sun. Don't water at night. Water the base and not the leaves. In the new high tunnel we will keep air moving.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- How do you select your seeds? CNG standards call for growers to make a good faith effort to locate organically grown seeds by contacting at least 3 major suppliers. *
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Do you purchase potting soil, or do you mix your own on the farm? *
- What ingredients does your potting mix contain? If you purchase a mix, please also indicate which product. *
- Are all of your transplants grown according to CNG standards, without synthetic fertilizers or wetting agents? *
- If any transplants are not grown according to CNG standards, please list them here. (If they all are, put "N/A".) This produce may not be marketed as Certified Naturally Grown. *
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- If yes, please state the source (conventional farm field, golf course, etc.)and any details you can provide (type of pesticide, fertilizer, herbicide used, and/or what used for.) *
- I have a electrical transmission line behind the house. I have met with Entergy and told them not to spray.
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- Our ten acres is in the city limits. There is a warehouse to the north, then a swamp. Our family steel fabrication business to the west then houses. Woods to the south for a 1/4 mile then a highway. My sister has 5 acres of timber to the east then a divided 4 lane highway. I don't know of any farms within a 1/2 mile. We never see crop dusters. I monitor the electrical company and make sure they don't spray. (I have also requested a meeting with them). Stopped them two years ago before they sprayed the distribution lines. I have not seen them spray the transmission line in years except around the poles themselves. I will let you know when I have a meeting. I have been mowing it so there won't be a need to spray. The high tunnel is about 100 feet away. The other garden areas are about 600 feet away.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm: