Sr. Remote Inspect
Family Roots FarmOwner: Jennifer Sharpnack
2175 W.130th St
Hinckley, OH 44233
309 Aurora-Hudson Rd
Aurora, OH 44202
daytime phone: (330) 329-2880
evening phone: (440) 227-2409
Web site: http://www.familyrootsfarm.com
Application Date: 2020-09-17
- Your Name *
- Jennifer Sharpnack
- Please check all that apply. *
- For how many years have you managed or worked on a CNG-certified farm? *
- How many years of experience total do you have managing a farming operation that’s managed according to CNG/organic principles (whether certified or not)? *
- Please indicate the place/s where you have farmed, including farm name, town, state, and country. *
- 2175 W.130th Street Hinckley, Ohio 44233 Family Roots Farm Since 1896
Types of Farming & Expertise
- Please check the box corresponding to the types of operations with which you have at least three years of experience.
- What type of training have you received in farming practices (on-farm and off-farm)? *
- Oeffa farm leadership and management training- updated every year in December. We are 5th generation farming this land so we have had hands in training through the generations since I was a child.
- Please briefly describe your experience with mentoring, training, or advising other farmers, if any.
- We have been asked to do workshops and presentations at the Midwest Growers Assoc annual conference, the OEFFA (organic) annual conference, we do farm consults after all CNG inspections and follow up to ensure a continued peer resource. We also do private consults every year to farms who want to transition to organic standards. We work with 3-6 farms a year for this. We are also on our city’s farm market’s advisory committee. We are also in several national garlic growers committees and part of the national Garlic Seed Foundation certified farms.
- What aspect of your farming operation are you most proud of? *
- Our 14 varieties of certified organic gourmet garlic and using cover crops as dual purpose, organic fertilizer and for our bees.
- What aspect of your farming operation are you most known for? (This could be a particular crop beloved by customers or an uncommon production method that other farmers would appreciate.) *
- Gourmet garlic and heirloom veggies are what we are most known for. We have farms that grow their garlic with our seed in 39 states currently. We use some traditional farming methods of permaculture design and have two employees on our farm certified in permaculture design from University of Oregon. We are also so proud to be certified biodynamic and are in two international groups for this.
- What do you appreciate about Certified Naturally Grown?
- We see the peer farmer support as invaluable and always try to remember how important it was when we we’re converting from conventional though we always were natural and chemical free.
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know.
- Just honored to be invited to apply to this new program.