Family Roots FarmOwner: Jennifer Sharpnack
2175 W.130th St
Hinckley, OH 44233
309 Aurora-Hudson Rd
Aurora, OH 44202
daytime phone: (330) 329-2880
evening phone: (440) 227-2409
Web site: http://www.familyrootsfarm.com
Application Date: 2017-03-11
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- As a cancer survivor I think it's very important to live a holistic and chemical-free lifestyle. I want to share this way of living and eating with others. I grew up on a farm where everything was done naturally for 4 generations. There was no certifications to be able to show this extra-level of care taken with the food we sold. It builds trust with your customers and the community you serve.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- A farmer who owns BJ's Garlic Farm in Cuyahoga Falls,Ohio.
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- Rototiller, rock removal, plant cover, then disc in the cover crop 3 times
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- If yes, please list: *
- Do you use Compost? *
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- We use Dr Earth 5-7-3 on all produce and liquid seaweed from maxicrop which contains kelp for our garlics and apple trees.
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- We hand weed and hoe. Mulch with straw we grow.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- We have been very fortunate except for our spaghetti squash bugs. We mix neem oil with pure Castillo soap- hemp 18 in 1. Equal parts of each. We will be using this method for any pests we encounter. It worked really well. The neem oil is also supposed to act as a natural fungicide. You can spray on plants preventatively as well which we intend to do this growing season. In the apples, we have the codling moth in our area who lays larvae in some of the fruit. We spray with neem oil and pure Castile (soap equal parts)preventively and do pretty well. The more oil you use the less they are attracted to the fruit because it smells bad and covers the apple scent this would be a 70/30 mixture. We will then spray during the Summer with the 50-50 just to keep pests at bay.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- For mildew and other fungal infections we plan to also use the above combination as well.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- Well and spring-fed creek.
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- From which sources do you buy transplants? *
- The garlic is from Big Johns Farm out of Oregon and is organic garlic and shallots seeds. Seeds are certified organic from Gail's Garden Center. We direct seed all our crops.
- How have you confirmed with your supplier that the transplants are grown without synthetic fertilizers or wetting agents? *
- Please list any bought-in transplants not grown according to CNG standards. This produce may not be sold as Certified Naturally Grown (except, in the case of perennials, after twelve months of CNG cultivation). *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- Field is approx 300 feet from the road and surrounded on 3 sides by woodlands that we manage. We also have it in conservation easements.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm:
- We are a 4th gen farm that has always used natural growing standards. We only grow heirloom-varieties that would've been a standard in 1886 when our farm was first established. We gather and dry our own seeds for the following year.