Big John'sOwner: John Alexander
415 John Hunter Rd.
Sharpsburg, GA 30277
4641 Hwy. 34 E
Sharpsburg, GA 30277
daytime phone: (678) 378-7923
evening phone: (770) 253-5768
Application Date: 2017-03-11
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- I have been following CNG policies for 7 or 8 years. My farmers market is now requiring CNG certification.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your livestock operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- Your application will be reviewed AFTER we receive a valid Feed Declaration for your farm. We ask you to submit the Feed Declaration within ONE MONTH to ensure your application isn't denied. Check this box to indicate you understand this. *
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total farm acreage to be used for pasture and feed crops *
- Number of above acres that you own: *
- Number of above acres that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "conventional" agricultural systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Other (please specify below):
- If indicated, please specify how 'other' acres are used
- Please check all items you grow and would like to market as Certified Naturally GrownTM (to certify produce, please complete the separate produce application) *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
- 1/2 and whole beef for individual consumer
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- I do not till. I drag after cows have been in a paddock to spread the cows manure
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- Do you use Compost? *
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please note general sources of manure: *
- I drag my pasture to spread out my cows manure
- Please list application rates. Give a specific amount or range (for example: one to two tons per acre, ten wheelbarrow loads per 1,000 square feet, or 1-2 inches deep). Do not answer "varies". *
- 30 lbs. per acre
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s.
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Describe your primary weed problems and methods of control. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient(s), what kind of product it is (a soap, microbial, oil, a botanical...), and how often it's used. *
- Describe your primary plant pest problems and methods of control. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s, what kind of product it is (a soap, microbial, oil, a botanical...), and how often it's used. *
- Grazing and Mowing
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
Livestock Management and Practices
- Please list all livestock for which you seek certification by type/breed, and indicate how many of each are on the farm today (for example: belted galloways - 20, nubian goats - 5, orpington chickens - 7, frizzle chickens - 3) For animals that have not yet been stocked for the season (e.g. poultry or piglets) please estimate how many you expect to have on farm during the upcoming season. Only list livestock that are (or will be) managed according to CNG standards. *
- I have 23 crossed Angus.
- I affirm that all livestock listed on this application are raised according to Certified Naturally Grown standards. I further affirm that I will not represent ANY livestock products as Certified Naturally Grown if they have not been raised according to the standards required by Certified Naturally Grown. Any livestock treated with antibiotics or other prohibited substances will be quarantined and sold separately. All livestock are fed feed grown according to CNG standards - without synthetic fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides, and free of any genetically modified grains (GMOs). *
- Have all the livestock been raised according to CNG standards since the last third of gestation or since hatching? *
- Give brief details of your rotation practice for each type and/or group of livestock. (E.g. heifers strip grazing behind electric fence moved daily, 28 day rotation, poultry rotated weekly - 3 pens.) *
- Strip graze. Move daily with Electric fence. I try to leave 40% of the grass when I move.
- Do the animals listed above include cows, goats, sheep or other ruminants? *
- Do your ruminant livestock obtain at least 30% of their dry matter intake from grazed forage during the growing season? *
- Do the animals listed above include poultry? *
- Do your livestock spend most of their time on pasture during the growing season? *
- Is all feed grown according to Certified Naturally Grown standards (without synthetic fertilizers, pesticides or post-harvest fungal treatments)? *
- For all livestock you seek to certify, please provide more information about the feed. Is it grown locally for you? Purchased in bulk at a mill? Bagged at the feed store? Is it Certified Organic? What brand, if any? *
- I graze as much as possible and feed hay off my farm that I contract with a neighbor to bale.
- Do you buy in some feed? *
- Describe your primary livestock pest problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Flies I control with rotational grazing daily.
- Describe your primary livestock disease problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- I have not had a disease problem in years. I have a small heard and keep a very close eye on them and use rotational grazing. I am also going to try a test on using Bragg organic Apple Cider Vinegar by adding it to the cows water. If I had a problem I would call the Vet. If one of my animals had to be treated with conventional medications, I would not process a Beef for sale as a CNG product
- Provide details of all livestock owned by you, or grazed on your land, that are treated and quarantined on your property *
- I have 23 mixed angus heard.
Seeds and Buffers
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be specific. On all sides, how far is it from your livestock pasture to the next closest use (i.e. road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Specify what is grown on neighboring land in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from a blueberry farm, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- North Road frontage on 1/4 of the land line. East and South 1/2 of the property is woods.West 1/4 is another farm with pasture.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that livestock not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another ranch or farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same rancher or farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown livestock certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm: