Grandpa Joe's Garlic FarmOwner: Bryan Camera
225 Pace Road
Cochran, GA 31014
daytime phone: (478) 230-2731
evening phone: (478) 934-8953
Application Date: 2016-05-01
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- I have been slowing building a garlic crop the past several years organically using the guide lines on the Naturally Grown web site, and thought it would be a good idea to have the Naturally Grown Certification considering my crop is getting to the point of selling some of it.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- Mother Earth News Magazine and farmers markets
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Garlic and trying to start some fruit and nut trees.
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- Harrow and a Rototiller
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- If yes, please list: *
- I do have rye grass and clover planted as a green manure for building up the soil and to add nitrogen to the soil also.
- Do you use Compost? *
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- SEA-90 Essential elements that is OMRI listed for organic use. And Blood meal. I have also used 01-YS Organic Adjuvant spray that is also OMRI listed for organic use.
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Weeds are a problem, so far I have been controlling them with straw put down after planting the garlic and pulling the ones that get thru the straw by hand. At the moment I only have about 5000 garlic in the ground so it is manageable. I am thinking of experimenting with a certified organic paper material at my next planting.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- So far I have not have any insect problems. Garlic does not have many insect problems and garlic sprays are even used to combat insects problems for other crops. I guess if I have any I would try that first.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- I have been very careful when planting each clove of the garlic bulb that there is no damage to it so to keep any disease problems from happening. If I see a plant that does not look right I carefully pull it and dispose of it.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- Filtered well water
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- How do you select your seeds? CNG standards call for growers to make a good faith effort to locate organically grown seeds by contacting at least 3 major suppliers. *
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- I have pine trees on three sides of my farmland and a road that is used very little considering I am out in the country. The closest farmer is about a mile away.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm: