Sr. Remote Inspect
Ward VegetablesOwner: John Ward
23380 16 Mile Rd
Big Rapids, MI 49307
daytime phone: (517) 745-5913
evening phone: (517) 745-5913
Web site: http://wardvegetables.com
Application Date: 2020-09-16
- Your Name *
- John Ward
- Please check all that apply. *
- For how many years have you managed or worked on a CNG-certified farm? *
- How many years of experience total do you have managing a farming operation that’s managed according to CNG/organic principles (whether certified or not)? *
- Please indicate the place/s where you have farmed, including farm name, town, state, and country. *
- Ward Vegetables Big Rapids,MI 49307 USA
Types of Farming & Expertise
- Please check the box corresponding to the types of operations with which you have at least three years of experience.
- What type of training have you received in farming practices (on-farm and off-farm)? *
- Many conferences including Acres USA, Northern Michigan Small Farm Conference, farm schools, Michigan State University Extension, Morgan Composting Soil Conferences. Also lots of books, magazines, and mistakes to learn from:)
- Please briefly describe your experience with mentoring, training, or advising other farmers, if any.
- In my previous life I was a teacher and led the mentoring program at my school. I have worked with many local farmers on marketing, growing practices, troubleshooting, different types of sales outlets that can be used to grow their business, and held many farmer meetings over the past 6 years.
- What aspect of your farming operation are you most proud of? *
- Our soil. By concentrating on our soil we have been able to continually grow our farm, the nutrition density of the veggies we grow, and the trust of our members and restaurants.
- What aspect of your farming operation are you most known for? (This could be a particular crop beloved by customers or an uncommon production method that other farmers would appreciate.) *
- Our salad mix, growing sorrel, our rhubarb and we are the only farm growing year round in our direct area (30 to 40 mile radius).
- What do you appreciate about Certified Naturally Grown?
- Knowing that there is a resource that I can go to or send my members to that promotes and describes our growing practices.
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know.
- After having done a remote inspection, which I think can work very well, there will still need to be some sort of follow-up with an on-site view of the farm. Does not have to happen in the same year but a farm should not only have a virtual inspection. Person to person is very important and has a big influence on practices.