Goose Lane Egg FarmOwner: Melanie Noss
111 Goose Lane
Sinking Spring, PA 19608
daytime phone: (610) 763-5372
Web site: http://www.gooselaneeggfarm.com
Application Date: 2018-02-02
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- Easier method to describe our growing practices and market them. Would like to have third party backing of our practices.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- PASA, and other farm friends
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- Berta plow, Rototiller, Tilther, shallow tillage methods.
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- If yes, please list: *
- Rye and Wheat
- Do you use Compost? *
- If yes, please note general sources (on farm, purchased complete, local grass clippings, local dairy, etc.): *
- on farm chicken manure, with gypsum mixed in bedding, also vegetable scraps and on farm pig manure.
- Please list application rates. Give a specific amount or range (for example: one to two tons per acre, ten wheelbarrow loads per 1,000 square feet, or 1-2 inches deep). Do not answer "varies". *
- 1-2" deep
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- Fish from Oregon Ag (Pure Protein dry fish 15-11), Phytogaurd used as foliar application periodically, beginning of plants life. (ingrdients:Castor Oil, Essential Oils of Orange, Eugenol, Clove, Citronella, Geraniol and Coconut Oil Based Surfactant)
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- If yes, as per the Certification regulations, it is acceptable to apply chelated chemical fertilizers to correct specifical micronutrient imbalances as listed on a recent soil test. Does the application of this fertilizer meet those requirements? *
- If Yes, please specify types, amounts and application dates: *
- Phytactyl last applied October 2015. Foliate K was also used in 2015 season. Our upper field was farmed conventionally until spring 2017.
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- If yes, then please specify type and most recent application date: *
- Our upper field was farmed conventionally until spring 2017.
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- We have broad-leaf annuals. We use cultivation, mowing, hoe weeding, smothering with tarp, flame weeding, straw and plastic mulch.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- We use Entrust and Dipel Df, rotated, for lopper moths, chewing worms on brassicas, and potato beetles. Pyganic for squash bugs and cucumber beetles (1-2 times a year). We also use Surround WP as a protectant, and for sun damage. Dipel Df is used on sweet corn for earworm.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- We use Actinovate, rotated with copper (Badge X2) to control early blight, late blight, septoria leaf spot, powdery mildew, and circaspora spot. Regalia for tomato blights. Oxidate for broad spectrum of disease causing pathogens, used after scouting (apx. 3-4 times a growing season).
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- How do you select your seeds? CNG standards call for growers to make a good faith effort to locate organically grown seeds by contacting at least 3 major suppliers. *
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Do you purchase potting soil, or do you mix your own on the farm? *
- What ingredients does your potting mix contain? If you purchase a mix, please also indicate which product. *
- Are all of your transplants grown according to CNG standards, without synthetic fertilizers or wetting agents? *
- If any transplants are not grown according to CNG standards, please list them here. (If they all are, put "N/A".) This produce may not be marketed as Certified Naturally Grown. *
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- From which sources do you buy transplants? *
- Strawberry plugs, could not find organic or CNG source, bulk shipment from Lancaster grower co-op.
- How have you confirmed with your supplier that the transplants are grown without synthetic fertilizers or wetting agents? *
- have not
- Please list any bought-in transplants not grown according to CNG standards. This produce may not be sold as Certified Naturally Grown (except, in the case of perennials, after twelve months of CNG cultivation). *
- strawberry plugs
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- Road runs along lower side of main field, our house and yard are to west of main field, conventional hay field is upper border, with 15' drive path separating. East side is bordered by same hay field, with 15' grass drive aiseles. Conventional farmer is my father, using drop-down nozzle, minimally sprayed with understanding for right conditions to avoid spray drift. Upper field is bordered by hay field, with 15' grass drive aisles all around.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm:
- Operated by Melanie and Casey Noss.