Mt Laurel FarmOwner: Keith Caton
1185 dunnavant valley rd
Birmingham, AL 35242
daytime phone: (205) 747-6362
evening phone: (205) 747-6362
Application Date: 2016-02-05
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- At my farm I use organic farming methods but do not want to be certified organic. I want to be CNG certified so I will not be confused with conventional vegetable producers, and to let people know they are getting only naturally grown produce.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- From a CNG farmer.
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- Pto tilling, disc , sub soiler, disc, bed shaper.
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- If yes, please list: *
- Buckwheat, millet, winter rye , winter peas , sunflower
- Do you use Compost? *
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- Lime (Calcititic/Dolmtic pulverized agricultural limestone), Organic Fertrell Phostrell, NatureSafe 8-5-5 fertilizer (OMRI), Alaskan 5-1-1 fish emulsion (OMRI). All my applications are minimal this being the 8th season on this land I do not require very much. I have been building the soil by cover cropping any time that I don't have veggies in a field and have maintained a good rotation schedule.
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Nut grass, tillage, flame weeding, hand weeding. Only a problem in small veg like greens and carrots. I try to time my planting seeds to out compete the growing cycle.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Varies by season. Spring: no challenges. Late spring/summer: squash bugs, grass hoppers, leaf worms,flea beetles. Summer/ fall: aphids leaf caterpillars. I try and time my planting seeds with the insect cycles to harvest before they take a toll and plant enough so we big get our fair share of the harvest.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Powdery mildew on squash, it's seasonal I let nature take its toll after 6 weeks of succession planting. Early blight on tomatoes I use the same method as above
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- Spring fed private pond
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Are they grown using Naturally Grown/Organic methods? *
- If they're not grown according to CNG methods, please list them here. This produce may not be sold as Certified Naturally Grown. (If they are, put "N/A") *
- I use only certified organic potting mix , soil blocking and spring water.
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- The farm is surrounded by thousands of acres of protected on 3 sides , there are no other producers in the area , but neighborhoods are across the main frontage road and are across the street from my top field. Any run off from the neighboring community is diverted away from the farm based on the natural slope of the land.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm: