Freewheel FarmOwner: Brent Hall
216 Little St.
Atlanta, GA 30315
258 Dodd Ave. SW
Atlanta, GA 30315
Web site: http://www.freewheelfarm.com
Application Date: 2015-12-24
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- I want to have a way to show my customers that I use all natural farming techniques.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- Through farmer friends, and at conferences.
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- Rear tine rototiller, broadfork, and other hand tools.
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- If yes, please list: *
- Buckwheat, Peas, Vetch, Rye
- Do you use Compost? *
- If yes, please note general sources (on farm, purchased complete, local grass clippings, local dairy, etc.): *
- Compost is built on-site in partnership with Compostwheels. We use vegetable waste from surrounding neighborhoods, sawdust from area mills, and leaves when available.
- Please list application rates. Give a specific amount or range (for example: one to two tons per acre, ten wheelbarrow loads per 1,000 square feet, or 1-2 inches deep). Do not answer "varies". *
- 1 inch deep per application
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- I occasionally use products purchased from Seven Springs Farm. All products are OMRI listed. These include Black Castings worm castings, Azomite, Greensand, kelp meal, feather meal, and bone meal (all used in seed starting mix). Harmony Ag Organic Fertilizer and Neptunes Fish and Seaweed Fertilizer are applied monthly.
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- It varies from season to season, but primarily chickweed, henbit, and assorted grasses. I use stirrup hoes and other long-handled hoes primarily, but resort to hand-weeding sometimes. I also use tight crop spacing to shade out weeds.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- I prefer using exclusion via row cover, and letting local and imported beneficial insects have a chance to control pests, before using pesticides. All pesticides that I use are OMRI listed. For worm and caterpillar issues (cabbage loopers, armyworms, pickleworm, etc.) I spray BT. For snails and slugs I use Sluggo. For all other insect pests I use Pyrethrin or Spinosad. Each of these is used as little as possible, sometimes only once or not at all during the course of the year.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- All my fungicides and disease control are home-made or OMRI listed. For root rot I use RootShield, for powdery mildew and downy mildew I use Biosafe Disease Control, for blossom end rot I apply crushed eggshells. Used only as necessary, typically weekly applications once the disease is identified and established.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- City water.
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- How do you select your seeds? CNG standards call for growers to make a good faith effort to locate organically grown seeds by contacting at least 3 major suppliers. *
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Do you purchase potting soil, or do you mix your own on the farm? *
- What ingredients does your potting mix contain? If you purchase a mix, please also indicate which product. *
- Are all of your transplants grown according to CNG standards, without synthetic fertilizers or wetting agents? *
- If any transplants are not grown according to CNG standards, please list them here. (If they all are, put "N/A".) This produce may not be marketed as Certified Naturally Grown. *
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- From which sources do you buy transplants? *
- Occasionally from the Wylde Center, which grows them using organic methods.
- How have you confirmed with your supplier that the transplants are grown without synthetic fertilizers or wetting agents? *
- Please list any bought-in transplants not grown according to CNG standards. This produce may not be sold as Certified Naturally Grown (except, in the case of perennials, after twelve months of CNG cultivation). *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- SITE #1: There are no other agricultural operations close to mine, and I'm in a residential area. I do have a buffer of houses on the north, south, and east sides. None of the neighboring yards are used for agriculture, and none of the neighbors use herbicides, pesticides, or synthetic fertilizers. There is a tree buffer along the west side of the property. SITE #2: Access from the road is on the east side, with about 100' distance from the garden. There is a large house and trees buffering the garden from the road. On the north, south, and west sides of the garden there is a tree buffer of 20'+ in each direction.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm:
- I am developing another site for spring 2016 (880 Springdale Rd. NE, Atlanta, GA), which will use the same inputs and methods.